"I may not be there yet but I'm closer than I was yesterday."

Wish me luck I'm going to need it!

Saturday 6 March 2010

To sew a stitch

Stitch. A pain in the...

Hang on actually what is 'Stitch' exactly? And I don't mean in sewing or knitting or the cute Disney character.



I mean the god-awful feeling that a part of your stomach is about to explode and you can't go on any further. Well that's how I feel anyway when i keep getting blighted by this weird phenomenon on my runs.

Now to get all medical to explain this problem that everyone has suffered with. It's pretty squeamish even I shuddered!

"Stitch is actually caused by the gut "tugging" on the ligaments connecting it to the diaphragm."

Gross isn't it, diaphragms being pushed beyond their limits and oh great there isn't a cure!

I only began getting stitch when I first began running, apparently this is normal for exercise newbies. It used to stop me in my tracks and it gave me something else to moan about when running - someone needs to give me a break.

But now I have been stitch free for two weeks when I go running (pause for clapping) as I found my own way of getting around the dreaded ailment.

My cure is not eating up to 3 hours before a run. This is difficult I know but it works honestly. I also drink plenty of water usually taking a gulp every 5 minutes when running (this is also to stop me passing out from lack of oxygen/food) and finally if I feel a stitch coming on I try 'Belly Breathing' (stop laughing!) inhaling whilst pushing out my stomach and when exhaling relaxing my stomach muscles.

There you go 3 easy steps to beat Stitch - I'm beginning to sound just like a fitness instructor - Rosemary Conley/Mr Motivator step aside!

1 comment:

  1. dad says depends how fast we run or walk dont forget its the takin part that counts

    ReplyDelete